ASIO4All and Virtual Audio Cable = Problems

...if you feel pretty certain that you found a bug

ASIO4All and Virtual Audio Cable = Problems

Postby masterjoe » Sun May 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi there,

please have a look at the attached screenshots. There I show you the following problem:

My scenario is using Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) 4.15 with ASIO4All 2.13 and Plogue Bidule 0.9750 as VST-Host (see: https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule/).
In this scenario I have encounter a problem with the number of channels that are displayed in ASIO4All and then later in Plogue Bidule because of this problem.

I ALWAYS get eight channels for each cable of VAC when using it with ASIO4All although the cables are not configured for eight channels! Even if I change the setting "NC" in VAC Control Panel to "1..2" - I will get eight channels via ASIO4All! I have contacted the developer of Virtual Audio Cable regarding the problem and this was his response:

"...Most likely, ASIO4ALL looks on a maximal possible pin data range only.
This data range is returned KSPROPERTY_PIN_DATARANGES request. To
obtain currently supported data range, a client should use
KSPROPERTY_PIN_DATAINTERSECTION.

Maybe ASIO4ALL just shows a maximum data range but really uses actual
one. You could ask ASIO4ALL developers for details.

Regards,
Eugene"

So I hope that we can sort this out? If it is indeed a problem with requesting the correct range than it should be fixable easily, right?

Cheers,
Oli
Attachments
3.png
This leads to a massive ASIO device in Plogue Bidule which is almost unusable...
3.png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 636 times
2.png
ASIO4All reports 8 channels and a totally wrong range!
2.png (19.56 KiB) Viewed 636 times
1.png
Sttings in Virtual Audio Cable -> Only two channels are active and the range is limited to 22050...41000 Hz
1.png (24.4 KiB) Viewed 636 times
masterjoe

Return to Bug Submissions